Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Obed-edom

Two years ago I dreamed a remarkably vivid dream in which I gave birth to an unexpected son. While in the hospital a steady stream of visitors came to admire my new baby boy and bless him with gifts. The last visitor asked his name and I replied, "Obed-edom."

The next morning I shared my dream in great detail with Ryan who asked me to spell the child's name as it sounded familiar to him. We found this story about Obed-edom in the book of 2nd Samuel, Chapter 6:
And David was unwilling to move the ark of the LORD into the city of David with him; but David took it aside to the house of Obed-edom the Gittite. Thus the ark of the LORD remained in the house of Obed-edom the Gittite three months, and the LORD blessed Obed-edom and all his household. Now it was told King David, saying, "The LORD has blessed the house of Obed-edom and all that belongs to him, on account of the ark of God." David went and brought up the ark of God from the house of Obed-edom into the city of David with gladness.
Because I rarely experience such vivid dreams, let alone remember them, Ryan and I decided to receive this dream as a gift from God. Furthermore, this gift from God arrived during a time of trial and great anxiety. For us, the name Obed-edom serves as a reminder that when we welcome the Spirit of the Lord to dwell in our home, we will forever enjoy His blessings. God is good all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment